Basic Skills is a beginners’ program covering the fundamentals of ice skating. Through a series of eight levels, students learn forward skating, backward skating, stops, edges, crossovers, and turns, enabling them to advance to more specialized programs upon completion.
There are 3 classes available.
The Basic Skills Program
spans the following 8 levels:
Basic Skills 1Lesson Plan
1. Sit on ice and stand up
2. March forward across the ice
3. Forward two-foot glide
5. Forward swizzles - 6-8 in a row
6. Backward wiggles - 6-8 in a row
7. Snowplow stop
8. Rocking horse - 2-3
9. Two-foot hop in place (optional)
Basic Skills 2Lesson Plan
1. Forward one foot glides - R and L
2. Backward two-foot glide
3. Backward swizzles - 6-8 in a row
4. Two-foot turn from forward to backward in place
5. Moving snowplow stop
6. Forward alternating half swizzle pumps, in a straight line (slalom-like pattern)
Basic Skills 3Lesson Plan
1. Forward stroking, showing correct use of blade
2. Forward half swizzle pumps on a circle - 6-8 consecutive clockwise and counterclockwise
3. Moving forward to backward two-foot turn - clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Backward one-foot glides - R and L
5. Forward slalom
6. Two-foot spin - up to two revolutions
Basic Skills 4Lesson Plan
1. Forward outside edge on a circle - R and L
2. Forward inside edge on a circle - R and L
3. Forward crossovers, clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Forward outside three-turn, R and L from a stand-still position
5. Backward half swizzle pumps on a circle, clockwise and counterclockwise
6. Backward stroking
7. Backward snowplow stop - R and L
Basic Skills 5Lesson Plan
1. Backward outside edge on a circle - R and L
2. Backward inside edge on a circle - R and L
3. Backward crossovers, clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Beginning one-foot spin - up to three revs, optional entry and free-foot position
5. Hockey stop
6. Side toe hop - both directions
Basic Skills 6Lesson Plan
1. Forward inside three-turn - R and L from a standstill position
2. Moving backward to forward two-foot turn on a circle, clockwise and counterclockwise
3. T-stop - R or L
4. Bunny hop
5. Forward arabesque/spiral on a straight line - R or L
6. Forward lunge - R or L
Basic Skills 7Lesson Plan
1. Forward inside open Mohawk from a standstill position - R to L and L to R
2. Backward outside edge to forward outside edge transition on a circle - R and L
3. Ballet jump - R and L
4. Backward crossovers to a backward outside edge glides (landing position), clockwise and counterclockwise
5. Forward inside pivots - R or L
Basic Skills 8Lesson Plan
1. Moving forward outside three-turn on a circle - R and L
2. Moving forward inside three-turn on a circle - R and L
3. Combination move: Forward crossovers (2) into forward inside Mohawk, cross behind, step into backward crossover (1) and step to forward inside edge
4. One-foot upright spin, optional entry and free-foot position
5. Waltz jump
6. Mazurka - R and L
- We suggest wearing layers such as, a long sleeve shirt and a t-shirt, sweatshirts, and a light jacket.
- Athletic pants, sweats, leggings, and yoga pants, nothing that restricts movement. Avoid jeans.
- One pair of thin socks that go up past the ankle.
- Helmets are not required, but are suggested for children aged 6 and younger.
- Each participant must have a unique Learn To Skate USA Membership ID which can be purchased here. This Membership ID must be provided at checkout when registering for any Learn To Skate USA.
- Refund Policy: NO REFUNDS will be granted after the semester begins. Refund requests made at least 5 days prior to the start of the semester will be granted, minus a $10 administration fee. To avoid the $10 fee, you may apply credit toward another RSA class.
- Class Attendance and Make-up Classes: All classes must be attended during the enrolled Semester. 2 make-up classes will be allowed each semester, and must be made up within the skaters current enrolled semester.
- Discount Promo-Codes: Promo-Codes and discounts will not be granted after registration. Only one promo code is allowed per family, per semester. Promo-Codes may not be combined.
- Military Discount: RSA is happy to offer a special discount to those who are currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or are the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card. Or: Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC). Please contact the RSA office for details.
- Photo Release: Registration grants RSA rights to utilize skaters likeness for use on our website and various social media outlets.
- Class Times: Class times are subject to change. Due to Ralston Arena events, RSA will occasionally have to schedule semesters which skip a week. Prior to registration, please check the RSA Calendar, flyers, or the individual RSA class registration page for confirmed semester dates.