Basic Skills is a beginners’ program covering the fundamentals of ice skating. Through a series of eight levels, students learn forward skating, backward skating, stops, edges, crossovers, and turns, enabling them to advance to more specialized programs upon completion.
Sorry, this class is not yet scheduled.
The Basic Skills Program
spans the following 8 levels:
Basic Skills 1Lesson Plan
1. Sit on ice and stand up
2. March forward across the ice
3. Forward two-foot glide
5. Forward swizzles - 6-8 in a row
6. Backward wiggles - 6-8 in a row
7. Snowplow stop
8. Rocking horse - 2-3
9. Two-foot hop in place (optional)
Basic Skills 2Lesson Plan
1. Forward one foot glides - R and L
2. Backward two-foot glide
3. Backward swizzles - 6-8 in a row
4. Two-foot turn from forward to backward in place
5. Moving snowplow stop
6. Forward alternating half swizzle pumps, in a straight line (slalom-like pattern)
Basic Skills 3Lesson Plan
1. Forward stroking, showing correct use of blade
2. Forward half swizzle pumps on a circle - 6-8 consecutive clockwise and counterclockwise
3. Moving forward to backward two-foot turn - clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Backward one-foot glides - R and L
5. Forward slalom
6. Two-foot spin - up to two revolutions
Basic Skills 4Lesson Plan
1. Forward outside edge on a circle - R and L
2. Forward inside edge on a circle - R and L
3. Forward crossovers, clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Forward outside three-turn, R and L from a stand-still position
5. Backward half swizzle pumps on a circle, clockwise and counterclockwise
6. Backward stroking
7. Backward snowplow stop - R and L
Basic Skills 5Lesson Plan
1. Backward outside edge on a circle - R and L
2. Backward inside edge on a circle - R and L
3. Backward crossovers, clockwise and counterclockwise
4. Beginning one-foot spin - up to three revs, optional entry and free-foot position
5. Hockey stop
6. Side toe hop - both directions
Basic Skills 6Lesson Plan
1. Forward inside three-turn - R and L from a standstill position
2. Moving backward to forward two-foot turn on a circle, clockwise and counterclockwise
3. T-stop - R or L
4. Bunny hop
5. Forward arabesque/spiral on a straight line - R or L
6. Forward lunge - R or L
Basic Skills 7Lesson Plan
1. Forward inside open Mohawk from a standstill position - R to L and L to R
2. Backward outside edge to forward outside edge transition on a circle - R and L
3. Ballet jump - R and L
4. Backward crossovers to a backward outside edge glides (landing position), clockwise and counterclockwise
5. Forward inside pivots - R or L
Basic Skills 8Lesson Plan
1. Moving forward outside three-turn on a circle - R and L
2. Moving forward inside three-turn on a circle - R and L
3. Combination move: Forward crossovers (2) into forward inside Mohawk, cross behind, step into backward crossover (1) and step to forward inside edge
4. One-foot upright spin, optional entry and free-foot position
5. Waltz jump
6. Mazurka - R and L
- We suggest wearing layers such as, a long sleeve shirt and a t-shirt, sweatshirts, and a light jacket.
- Athletic pants, sweats, leggings, and yoga pants, nothing that restricts movement. Avoid jeans.
- One pair of thin socks that go up past the ankle.
- Helmets are not required, but are suggested for children aged 6 and younger.
- Each participant must have a unique Learn To Skate USA Membership ID which can be purchased here. This Membership ID must be provided at checkout when registering for any Learn To Skate USA.
- Refund Policy: NO REFUNDS will be granted after the semester begins. Refund requests made at least 5 days prior to the start of the semester will be granted, minus a $10 administration fee. To avoid the $10 fee, you may apply credit toward another RSA class.
- Class Attendance and Make-up Classes: All classes must be attended during the enrolled Semester. 2 make-up classes will be allowed each semester, and must be made up within the skaters current enrolled semester.
- Discount Promo-Codes: Promo-Codes and discounts will not be granted after registration. Only one promo code is allowed per family, per semester. Promo-Codes may not be combined.
- Military Discount: RSA is happy to offer a special discount to those who are currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or are the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card. Or: Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC). Please contact the RSA office for details.
- Photo Release: Registration grants RSA rights to utilize skaters likeness for use on our website and various social media outlets.
- Class Times: Class times are subject to change. Due to Ralston Arena events, RSA will occasionally have to schedule semesters which skip a week. Prior to registration, please check the RSA Calendar, flyers, or the individual RSA class registration page for confirmed semester dates.